Friday, January 23, 2009

Last day

Yup, it's my last day in my 20s... and Trev will tell you that it's the last day that I'm younger than him. He claims that he never got a 30th birthday and hasn't had a birthday since (though I very distinctly remember wishing him a happy birthday between contractions 3 years ago).

I'm not sure exactly how I feel about the whole thing. I guess you're the age you feel - some days, I feel like I'm still 25 and other days I feel like I'm 60! Yesterday was the latter. But I don't think it's because my birthday's around the corner and I'm feeling crummy about it, I think it's because I'm fighting the start of a cold and it seems to be more determined then me. I'm also not liking the "fine lines", but whatever. I can deal with that.

I guess my real downer with getting older isn't that I'm getting older. I've been thinking about that a lot over the last few days. It's not me that's getting older that makes turning 30 hard on me. It's knowing that as I get older, those around me get older too. Don't you wish you could freeze your parents' age and health and keep them exactly as they are forever? I know I do. I want them to be able to be every part of my kids' lives that they can be and more. I want them to see their great-grandkids and see them grow up too. They may very well, but the uncertainty and them getting older too is really bugging me...

3 comments:

New Mommy said...

I think we all wish we could freeze time....completely normal. I agree - I can't believe that my dad will be 80 this year - YES, 80.

Hope you had a good one. Sorry to hear about the "ultra-conservative" firm.....but maybe it's that whole "everything happens for a reason"....

You and I simply need to think of a great business idea and then we can run it from our homes! (You husband's brainchild book idea probably won't cut it...)

Bonnie said...

Happy be-lated birthday Jules!
I hope you had a great day, and enjoyed your time, when the kids with the grandparents!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Sadly I know EXACTLY what you mean.